The musings of a Bondservant of Jesus Christ

Welcome to my blog! This is a new experience for me and honestly I have no idea where this is headed. Prepare yourself. You are about to dive into the general (and mostly random) thoughts that run through the mind of this Bondservant of Jesus Christ...

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Contentment In Christ





Contentment. That's an interesting word. It's honestly the term that best describes my life right now, and I'll explain that later. It's a word that Paul uses in Philippians 4:10-13.

"But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

I love the wording that Paul uses here. The first thing that stands out to me is that being content is a learned trait. Paul says that he has "learned to be content." To me, logically, that suggests that there must have been a time (or times) in his life where he was faced with undesireable circumstances. We see this clearly in Paul's "resume" found in 2 Corinthians 11:16-31. Contentment isn't just a light-switch that you just turn on. It's a process. You have to go through some rough times, times of uncertainty, and times where you are on the polar opposite spectrum of contentment. But through this process, you learn what it means to be content. You learn what it means to be grateful for the things that God has blessed you with whether they are big or small. You learn to be content in whatever circumstances you are in.

Philippians 4:13 is a very popular verse, especially among athletes. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. "I can outrun everyone in this race through Christ who strengthens me. I can shoot better, jump higher, bench more, tackle better, or win more games through Christ who strengthens me." "I can ask this girl out and she will say yes because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." It's almost like a mantra for immediate success in most people's mind. However, I think Paul's intention for this verse was different when you consider the context. Paul just got finished talking about how he has learned to be content even when he was suffering and then he says "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Ultimately, Paul is saying that he can "accept" anything that comes his way. Why? Because he has learned what it means to be content in Christ. He knows that God is going to take care of him and provide for him, so why should he worry? He understood contentment.

I'm at a weird place right now. What's weird is that my life is going faster than a middle school girl's heart rate at the sight of Justin Bieber, yet, I'm happy. I'm content. I see some friends starting new chapters in their life (which excites me), and I see some friends revisiting old "adventures" (which worries me) and I can barely wrap my mind around the fact that I start my last year of seminary in 10 days. Yet, I'm content. This past year has been an interesting one for me, full of whirlwind events, changes and decisions. I've had some rough times, and some great times. Within this last year, I've been at the "bottom of the barrel", on "top of my game" and just about everywhere in the middle. Yet, I've learned to be content.

Trust me, I'm not boasting or bragging. I'm just saying that I believe my God is a big God, and I've got nothing to worry about. I think Job said it best:

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God; whom I myself shall behold and whom my eyes will see and not another. My heart faints within me!" -Job 19

The Creator of the universe is the God I serve. Wherever He leads me, whatever circumstances I go through, I know who my Shield and Strong Tower is. Why should I worry when I can be content?

2 comments:

  1. I love how you addressed Phil 4:13 in the context of the passage. That is probably one of the most widely out-of-context verses used. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...and I meant 4:13, not 3:14 as I typed. A moment of dyslexia. My apologies :)

    ReplyDelete