The musings of a Bondservant of Jesus Christ

Welcome to my blog! This is a new experience for me and honestly I have no idea where this is headed. Prepare yourself. You are about to dive into the general (and mostly random) thoughts that run through the mind of this Bondservant of Jesus Christ...

Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Stand

What comes to your mind when you hear the word "SURRENDER"??

Some people may think of war, or the example of someone like General Lee surrendering to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox. Others may think of someone hoisting a white flag to signal defeat. For those who are children of the late-70's and early-80's, you may think of a song by the band Cheap Trick. There are countless images or ideas that pop into our mind when we hear the term "surrender.

The idea of total surrender is something that God has been bringing to light in my life recently. This idea of surrendering to God goes hand in hand with my last post on contentment. Total surrender to God. Total surrender to His will for my life. What does that mean? What does that look like? Does that affect me now?

Before I go any further, I want to clarify one thing. Those examples and images at the beginning of this post are completely different from the idea of surrender in the sense that I'm talking about today. Those first examples of surrender occur when there is no other choice available. Lee surrendered to Grant because he was out of options. People wave the white flag and surrender because there is nowhere left to run or hide. That type of surrender is a last-ditch effort for survival. That type of surrender is a choice made out of fear for self-preservation, and and it's the absolute last choice you want to make. Do you really think that Lee wanted to surrender to Grant? Absolutely not. I guarantee you that he wanted to win that war. He surrendered because he was out of options. He surrendered because his back was against the wall. He surrendered in order to spare his life and the lives of his men. It was the absolute last choice that he would ever consider making.

Now flip it around. When we surrender to God, it should be the foremost decision we make. Surrendering to God isn't a last-ditch effort for survival. Surrendering to God is not deciding to make that choice when you've exhausted all other options and the only thing left is crying out to God. Honestly, that is a picture of a proud man being humbled, not surrender. Surrendering to God, and His will for our lives looks like this: "I wish to lie low before God, as in the dust; that I might be nothing and that God might be all." -(Jonathan Edwards). Surrendering is a conscience choice that we make. A choice to deny ourselves and do what God has called us to do because we desire to be used by Him. I think that is what Paul was getting at when he said:

"For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all that I may win more. To the Jews, I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not myself being under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without the law. To the weak, I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that by all means I may save some. I do ALL things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it." - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

Paul understood what it meant to surrender to God. He knew that his mission was to deny his wants and desires and spread the gospel to any and all who ears to hear. He didn't care what the situation was, or what the cultural background, or who he was talking to. All he cared about was sharing the truth of Christ. Why??? Because he had surrendered.

Surrendering to God is realizing that it is not about us, but rather it is all about Him. Surrendering to God is voluntarily taking your hands off the steering wheel of life and surrendering COMPLETE control to Him. It's humbling yourself before an Almighty God. Surrender is knowing who is control of your life, and then actually obeying Him.

To use the example of a student that I mentor: Surrendering to God is obedience to the call that He has put on your life. Surrender is obeying God by pursuing a life in ministry even when your parents want you to do something completely different. Surrendering to God is physically seen by those around you, as you TRUSTING God.

I want to end this post with a song. This song has been playing in my head for weeks as I've been digesting this topic of surrender. I love this song and I almost started crying when Matt Tillman sang this the other night at Epicenter. That's a vulnerable statement but I can honestly say it because it's the cry of my heart. I earnestly desire to abandon my own desires and completely surrender to "the One who gave it all." Pay attention to the words of this song and check out the video link for youtube at the end.

"The Stand" -Hillsong United

You stood before creation
Eternity within your hands
You spoke the earth into motion
My soul now to stand

You stood before my failure
Carried the cross for my shame
My sin weighed upon your shoulders
My soul now to stand

So what can I say?
What can I do?
But offer this heart O God
COMPLETELY to you

So I'll walk upon salvation
Your spirit alive in me
This life to declare your promise
My soul now to stand

So what can I say?
What can I do?
But offer this heart O God
COMPLETELY to you

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand
My soul Lord, to you SURRENDERED
ALL I AM IS YOURS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkGLbKV26zo

No comments:

Post a Comment